Shaun Hill Named Starter for Friday Night

Posted by Taylor Price on August 13, 2009 – 1:54 PM

shaunhillstarter-denver-hea

Head coach Mike Singletary announced that Shaun Hill will be his starting quarterback this Friday night when the 49ers host the Denver Broncos at Candlestick Park.

Shaun Hill will start the game,” Singletary said on Thursday after the team held a “mock game” practice. “I do not know who will start next week.  Really it could have been Shaun Hill or Alex Smith.  We chose Shaun Hill.  Don’t read anything into it.”

Hill didn’t hear the news until he walked off the practice field, but no matter the timing of the announcement, he was pleased with the outcome.

“I’m just excited to get out there and play again,” Hill said. “I agree there’s no reason to read into this in any way, but obviously, my goal is to start every regular season game and go from there. I’m just excited for the opportunity.”

Other news from Singletary’s press conference included Frank Gore and Isaac Bruce’s playing time on Friday. Both players will not play against Denver. Rookie Glen Coffee will get the nod in the backfield, but Singletary said a replacement for Bruce has yet to be determined.

Singletary also said Hill’s playing time also hasn’t been finalized.

Right now we’re just going to get into the flow of the game,” Singletary said. “I think the flow will dictate more or less, how much they (quarterbacks) will get to play.”

Although Hill’s getting the first crack with the first-team offense, Singletary said he’s more concerned with the end of the quarterback competition than the day-to-day details.

“I don’t care about today,” he said. “What I care about is at the end of it.  One can go a little bit ahead and a little bit behind.  In all fairness to them, that’s the only thing that I want to comment on is when we know what it is.  But in terms of who it is, who’s ahead, who’s not, it really doesn’t matter right now for us.”

Fifth-round draft pick Nate Davis isn’t guaranteed playing time, but Singletary said he’d like to get the Ball State product into the game at some point.

Now that the first preseason game is one day away, the entire 49ers locker room is itching to compete against a different colored jersey.

“Everybody is very excited,” Hill said. “When you’ve been facing each other and going as hard as we’ve been at each other for a couple of weeks, you’re very excited to see a different uniform across from you. There’s a lot of excitement and optimism in that locker room heading into this season, without a doubt.”

Singletary canceled the team’s afternoon practice to let the players rest up for Friday.

You can purchase tickets for Friday’s game by clicking here!

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 18 Comments »

18 Responses to “Shaun Hill Named Starter for Friday Night”

1. By BayAreaFastGunna510 on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

Shaun Hill gots what it takes when its crunch time

2. By Turtle Hannah on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

Shaun Hill is our man! Alex, much respect to you for proving that you love the Niners by renegotiating your contract, but I think that Shaun can get us to where we need to be.

3. By Gabriel on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

shaun hill deserved it but I think alex will do well too

4. By Steve McKenna on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

As I read it coach thinks it could have been Shaun Hill or Alex Smith. Cool. Smith has been out for a while and Hill is coming off an satisfactory season. Allow Hill to get the first crack and Smith to get the second. Take a look at what they both can do in a real game situation and make a decision from there. Between OTAs, Mini Camps, Training Camp and 2 preseason games i am sorry but you have to know. Bottom line is by game 3 the trigger has to be pulled and we should know who the starting QB is so the team can proceed with a sense of direction and certainty.

5. By ronnie on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

GO ALEX!!!! IT’S SHOWTIME!!!!

6. By Jim Bettencourt on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

I have watched many seasons as we have struggled on offense giving turnovers, not move the chains, and not score. Shaun kept quite on the side lines and watched but when given an opportunity to play he had fewer turn overs, moved the chains, and scored. Shaun and Alex may be head to head in training camp, nothing against Alex but Shaun has proven he should be the starter. Fewer turnovers, moves the chains, scores touchdowns, you don’t win if you don’t score no matter how you look in camp. Shaun Hill should be the starter, the team excels with him as their quarterback.

7. By John on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

Lets not forget that Alex has endured through SEVEN different offensive coordinators. When Norv was here he started to blossom and played well and then Norv was gone. So I think the jury is still out on Alex and for the long haul I truely believe he’s the one.And don’t forget he’s still VERY young and has time to mature into a great quarterback if they can keep the same system in place and let him get comfortable. The Patriots have lost a few OC’s and DC’s but they keep the same system in place, thats he key to their success CONSISTENCY!!!

8. By Jeff Barkee on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

Shaun’s a solid performer. He’s earned the start. He’s very reliable and rarely makes mistakes. But can he take us to that next level we’ve been missing for so long. I’m not satisfied with making the playoffs. The Steelers are sitting on 6 now. We need to get there as well……………soon.

Alex has been pretty lame the past couple years, and if he doesn’t step up now, it’s time to go.
    However, he showed a special quality very early in his career that gave me Title hopes.
    I still think he has an upside that Shaun doesn’t have. I just don’t see Hill leading us to #6.
    I’m hoping Smith will step up, take the job, and get us back where we belong!

9. By Jose on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

I believe Smith is the more talented QB, but I think for opening day it should be Hill at QB when the game starts. Hill deserves the chance to fail (hopefully not) based only on his play & the teams performance in the last couple of games last season. I’m a big Alex Smith fan & although I hate to use the excuse of 7 O-coordinators in 7 seasons, his relationship with Nolan, and his injury as the final touch labeling him a bust because he’s still young and talented. So, Hill the ball is yours for now but that breeze you feel down your neck isn’t wind, it’s A. Smith breathing down your neck!!!

GO NINERS!!!!

10. By jeremy on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

Two good quarterbacks who have long term contracts on the same team, this is one QB controversy that is likely going to continue for several years. Alex Smith has talent but needs to learn poise … Hill has a cool head and can read a defense as good as any other in the league. And with Singletary as the head coach I finally believe the niners can have a winning season, even with what looks like a tough schedule.

11. By JIMMY C. on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

SHAUN IS DEFINITLY THE MAN TO START THIS SEASON!! IF THEY WOULD OF TAKEN O SULLIVAN OUT A FEW GAMES EARLIER LAST SEASON WE WOULD HAVE MADE THE PLAYOFFS WITH HILL BEHIND THE CENTER!!!! ALEX??? MAYBE ITS ONLY BECAUSE HE DIDNT PLAY LAST SEASON….BUT WE ALL SAW WHAT HILL CAN DO

12. By Pedro C. on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

I think Shaun Hill should start all year because he has proven him self year after year. This well be his year I beleave it or not.

13. By Pam on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

“Shaun Hill Fact of the Day” —

he WINS games. That’s the bottom line. I vote for Shaun!

Alex is still an unknown in my opinion, but may be an asset. Just don’t know, but his results haven’t been so good (except the amazing Seahawk game in ’07)

14. By Spanky on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

Enough of the excuses! Sean Hill has had to learn a whole new system in each of the last three years as well. It really just comes down to who can win on game day, not practice. Alex looks good in practice, then looks like a statue in the real mix, while Hill looks like a hack in practice, but knows how to score touchdowns when it’s for real. I guess we’ll see, but I have a hard time believing the niners brass would put a still way overpriced contract over winning football games. One guy does it, the other guy does not, and if one’s too injured to play, that’s a liability, not an viable excuse. It’s go time, everyone is healthy, may the best man win. Again and again.

15. By NinerPaul on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

Believing in someone is a strong word >>> And as a fan its hard to commit to either one of these guys >> So lets play this test >> Answer honestly,If your life depended on a one chance on a 49er win who would you pick. At this point i like Shaun story of his journey to this point and his performances. Go Niners!!!!!!!

16. By ABier on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

I am from Nate Davis’s hometown in Ohio and I really hope to see him get a little playing time even for a few series in the fourth quarter. Good luck Nate!

17. By NinerPaul on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

Hey Pam That Seahawks game was in 06′ We got swept by the Seahawks in 07′

18. By Tibirrawl on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Hello, this is really great post, I will bookmark this! it will help lots of people. Keep posting!

xbox gaming chair